Monday, July 12, 2010

Crashes highlight racing at the Acres

Crashes highlight racing at the Acres

By Matthew J. Sullivan

It was a surprisingly cool summer evening this past Saturday night at Redwood Acres Raceway. The five local division returned to the 3/8-mile paved oval after a two-week layoff. Unfortunately, numerous accidents highlighted the events throughout the evening and by the end of the night, several drivers were hot under the collar.

Nick Green held off Casey Mitchell, Ronnie O’Neill and Bill Middleton to win the real stock trophy dash. Mitchell went on to win the heat race over Green, Ryan Robinson, Doug Way and O’Neill. The real stock main event proved to be the highlight of the evening and likely the best race thus far at Redwood Acres in the 2010 season. Mitchell and O’Neill raced a clean, nose-to-tail race for most all of the 20-lap feature. O’Neill was unable to use the high line to his liking as he tried it several times on Mitchell. At the checkered flag it was Mitchell beating O’Neill, Way, Middleton and Robinson. Surprisingly, the main event win marked Mitchell’s first of this season.

In mini stock action, Scott Baker won the trophy dash over Brian Murrell, Ricky Davis who was making his first-ever start and Brian McIntosh. Baker followed up with the heat race victory over Brian Murrell, Jr., Murrell, Ryan Ahrens and McIntosh. Baker was able to make it a clean sweep on the night as he ran away with the main event beating Murrell, McIntosh, Murrell, Jr. and Ken Barrett.

Nick Hansen took the roadrunner trophy dash victory ahead of Raleigh Willoughby, Dylan Cook and Michael Lawrence. Kolby Jackson held off Hansen to take the heat race victory followed by Lawrence, Cook and Willoughby. The feature was a rough and tumble affair. In the initial start, Brett Murrell and Cook made contact going into the third turn bringing out a restart. On the next start, Willoughby and Jackson came together as they were completing the first lap with Jackson getting into the wall. The next restart saw contact between Ken Barrett and Dax Kinsey going into the first turn. As both cars headed for the wall, Cook was caught up and he spun and hit the wall with his rear-end. Barrett and Kinsey were finished for the evening while Cook was able to continue. The race was cut to 10 laps with Hansen taking the win over Jackson, Willoughby, Cook and Murrell.

The thunder roadster trophy dash went to Randy Olson over Tommy Payne, Brandon Barnwell and Chris Sarvinski. The heat race for the roadsters looked more like a demolition derby than a race. When trying to pass Rob Nelson on the outside of turn four, Sarvinski got too high, got loose and hit the wall coming off the corner finishing his evening prematurely. After a restart, Nelson and Fergy Ferguson got hung together in turns one and two sending both drivers into the water barrels entering pit road. Both drivers were okay but were also finished for the evening. After all the chaos, Olson took the heat race win ahead of Mike Ward, Barnwell, Payne and Ziemer. Barnwell took the lead from the start of the feature event but by the end of the first lap, Olson was on his bumper in second. Going into the third turn on lap five, Olson took the lead and never looked back. Olson took the win handily over Barnwell, Payne, Ward and Ziemer.

Jerry Peterson took the sportsman trophy dash honors ahead of Angelo Marcelli, Larry Pries and Mic Moulton. Aaron Byers was able to beat Peterson by inches in the heat race followed by Moulton, Dennis DelBiaggio and Pries. Byers was able to take the lead early in the main event over Marcelli until lap two when DelBiaggio got loose going into turn three, spun and hit the wall ending his race. After the restart, Marcelli began to work hard on Byers for the lead. On lap 9, Marcelli found the line under Byers for the top spot. On lap 16, Peterson moved by Byers for second with Moulton following the next lap. On lap 20, Pries tried to make a move under Byers for fourth going into turn three. The two touched and went into the wall. Both drivers were fine but out of action. After the restart, Marcelli showed surprising strength holding off Peterson and Moulton. Neither was able to put a serious challenge to Marcelli’s lead and at the checkered flag it was Marcelli winning over Peterson, Moulton and Kenny Demello.

The racing action at Redwood Acres Raceway goes on a three-week hiatus before returning on Saturday July 31st. Joining the five local divisions will be the return of the Airport Auto Brokers Late Model series. It will be the second of the two scheduled points paying events for the series.

No comments: